- Spear Award
Mike Spear was recogized with the Academic Advising Resource Center's Advising Excellence Award for 2016.
- Nash Book Wins Award
Professor Stephen Nash's book, Virginia Climate Fever, received the 2015 Science Writing Award for Books from the American Institute of Physics.
- Hodierne Contributes to New Book
Journalism professor Robert Hodierne started his career as a photographer in Vietnam during the war. He returned nearly 40 years later to try and find the villagers he photographed, an experience he documented for an essay in the book "The American Experience in Vietnam: Reflections on an Era." He recently shared his story with the Richmond Times-Dispatch.
- Mufti publishes article
Shahan Mufti published "What Gandhi Understood About Inflammatory Depictions of Muhammad" in the New Republic.
- New Book
Professor Steve Nash recently published his latest book, Virginia Climate Fever.
UR Journalism on Twitter
- Portsmouth Sen. Louise Lucas introduced legislation adding preschools & child day centers to the list of schools prohibiting firearms.
- RT @urichmond: #urichmond polisci professor Rick Mayes on potential effects of federal health care policy changes in Va. https://t.co/8rAHm…
- Senate committee killed Sen. Rosalyn Dance’s bill to gradually raise Virginia minimum wage to $15 an hour by 2019. https://t.co/tNiMftomsT
- Virginia House committee approved a bill that would allow school security officers to carry a weapon. Story here: https://t.co/NL7t6EbyO8
- RT @billclinton: 41 and Barbara—thinking about you both and sending wishes for a speedy recovery. Love, 42.
- RT @MaryKateBrogan: So I've posted this before, and I'll post it again - come work with me @Daily_Press! https://t.co/54JvGOVM4W
- RT @StephenAtHome: I stand with legendary civil rights hero @repjohnlewis. And sometimes crowd-surf with him. https://t.co/wUtobFDIDq
- A resolution that encourages people to lower flags to half-staff once a year to mourn abortion advanced out of VA House committee today.
- RT @spulliam: Does anyone else agonize over ledes? Current placeholder: "SMART SNAPPY LEDE HERE. weweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee…
- A House committee will vote on Del. Richard P. Bell's bill to expand hate crimes to include crimes against law enforcement, firefighters.
- RT @Pres_Bartlet: “Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.” ― Martin Luther King Jr.
- RT @urichmond: Dazia Hall '17 & Chastyn Smith '18 are kicking off #MLKday2017 at #urichmond. More than 150 volunteers will head out into #r…
- Good piece in the TD today: 61 people were slain in Richmond in 2016. Here are their stories https://t.co/5gxcVHCxUT via @richmonddotcom
- Del. Michael Webert introduced a bill that would eliminate the crime of profane swearing in public (currently a Class 4 misdemeanor).
- RT @tsgnews: John Lewis, 1965: Head cracked open on Bloody Sunday Donald Trump, 1965: Plays squash at Fordham after getting Vietnam studen…
- RT @kennethcdavis: "His skull fractured, his vision blurred, Lewis believed the end had come” @jmeacham on @repjohnlewis #sschat #hsgovchat…
- RT @JackieKru: #marchonmonument https://t.co/HvWiHuoXvA
- Nice crowd for today's @SpiderSwimDive meet. Great to see all Spiders compete, especially swimming journalism majors https://t.co/sTLMfjqB1s
- RT @TimOBrien: As Trump slams John Lewis ahead of MLK Day, remember that Lewis risked his life in the '60s while Trump arranged 5 Vietnam d…
- RT @davidfrum: So true. People can literally club John Lewis over the head, and he doesn’t fight back. https://t.co/qIaIp24XPU
Journalism Feature Stories
Even at his (80th!) birthday celebration, journalism Prof. Mike Spear is lecturing about using those "F words." If you are/were his student, you know what that means. (Hint: they're not four-letter words.)